Moss Removal Services

Moss may be green but it ain't friendly. Are you starting to to see some green spots growing on your roof or maybe on your walls or driveway? If so, do your best to get rid of it fast. Aside from making your home look like its being overgrown, moss can cause some significant damages. If left on your roof for a long time moss can weaken your wood framing and even grow toxic mold. Mold you don't want your family breathing in. Try our moss removal services before it grows.

What Can You Expect?

To battle with tough moss invasions, Force Washing uses the following method...

First we kill it by using the wire brush method with no chemicals. We do this step by hand to get as much moss out of the way as possible. By doing this, we remove around 95% of the moss, the other 5% simply weathers off in time. 

Second we remove it by cleaning up all the moss that has been brushed and disposing.

And last, but perhaps the most important step, we prevent it by clearing the area of moss and applying a zinc sulfate treatment to slow future moss growth. 

What ​Is Moss And How Does It Damage My Roof?

Moss is a small green plant that grows in thick clumps, and it thrives in moist chilly environments with little sun. Some people find the look of moss to be attractive, but the fact is it can be very harmful to the roof of your house and if not treated it will begin to invade the inside of the home. 

Roof moss does not discriminate when it comes to what kind of roof it grows on. You name it: metal, asphalt, concrete, tile, and wood; it will grow there.  The moister the climate the more moss will grow.

Moss is thick and the more it grows, its thick texture can create shingle damage. It has a way of building up over the course of time, and it goes around and under roof shingles. That is how water collects, and the increased possibility of rot and leaks becomes a concern.

​This is How We Remove Moss From Your Roof

There are ways for moss to be removed. First, reducing the amount of moisture and shade will alter the environment moss likes to grow in.  Trees, bushes, and branches that provide shade need to be removed or trimmed back so that the sun is exposed.  To battle with tough moss invasions, Force Washing uses the following method...

First we kill it by using the wire brush method with no chemicals. We do this step by hand to get as much moss out of the way as possible. By doing this, we remove around 95% of the moss, the other 5% simply weathers off in time.

Second we remove it by cleaning up all the moss that has been brushed and disposing.

And last, but perhaps the most important step, we prevent it by clearing the area of moss and applying a zinc sulfate treatment to slow future moss growth.

​We Don't Recommend These At Home Moss Removal Alternatives

These are alternatives to the methods that we use and the issues that you may run into if you decide to take care of the moss yourself. We do not use the methods below.

High-Pressure Water Spray

Depending on how stubborn the moss is, spraying high-pressure water can remove the moss, but it is essential to keep in mind the power of the water spray can also cause damage to shingles and other materials on the home.  Tile roofs cannot take a higher powered pressure washer and often will loosen up or crack.

Powered Detergent and Bleach

Another method to kill moss is the use of powdered laundry detergent.  By mixing the powder detergent and water, a killing agent is produced. The solution will kill the moss and is useful in patio areas. But it should be noted that it is viewed as a chemical and can cause damage to vegetation. Another concern is that white residue from the detergent can leave white streaks which are not permanent but will require hard waterfall for the streaks to disappear.

Although it can be in the back of your mind to think about dealing with issues like moss, the advantage of staying ahead of moss buildup is that you can preserve the life of your roof and not have to concern yourself with replacing it due to moss damage.  That alone should be enough of an incentive to get rid of the moss before it creates an unneeded expense.

Again there are many methods to reduce moss growth or eliminate it altogether. For best results, it is give us a call and we will bring our professional help for moss removal.

  Copyright Force Washing 2019

Call Now